THE SCIENCE OF TEQUILA

What if we told you that there exists a spirit as delicate and nuanced as a single malt Scotch, regulated in the same way as Champagne, and so pure and smooth that it doesn’t give you a hangover? Then, what if we then told you that spirit was tequila?

Yep. Tequila.

We can all hazily recall Tequila. It’s either that shot you drank at university while trying to impress friends; that tequila slammer you really didn’t want (or could handle) at the end of a night out; or maybe that thing that ruined your badly-executed Mexican-themed party.

However, those bad decisions and declarations involving “never drinking again” weren’t actually the result of too many tequilas. At least, not exactly.

Because it’s highly unlikely that you were actually slamming true tequila… Mind blown yet? Well it will be.

Let’s clear this up.

Fact number one: Tequila is not made from a cactus.

Yep, just because it’s from the desert doesn’t mean that it’s from a cactus. Other things do actually grow there.

Tequila is instead distilled from the Blue Weber agave plant, which is part of the same botanical family as asparagus – although we strongly suggest not making any booze out of asparagus.

Fact number two: there are two very different types of tequila – and you’ve been drinking the wrong one.

The tequila that you “suffered” from is inevitably a mixed concoction containing just 51% agave with industrial sugarcane, alcohol, additives and colourings making up the other 49%. The main suspect for this is Jose Cuervo Especial – perfect for mixing some simple Margaritas, not so good for sipping (let alone slamming!).

Real deal tequila, on the other hand, can only be made in Jalisco, Mexico and is strictly regulated by the Origin of Appellation law.

Made from 100% agave, the plant is left to mature to maximum sweetness (for 6 to 10 years) after which the plant’s heart, or piña, is pulled up, stripped of its leaves then cooked, mashed, and milked. The resulting liquid is fermented and distilled (resulting in tequila Blanco) and, if it’s being made into aged tequila (either ‘Repsado’, rested for two to twelve months, or ‘Añejo’, aged for one to three years), it is then stored in oak barrels.

This means that tequila really isn’t too different to a Scotch, cognac or fine wine…

And you wouldn’t shoot a single malt now, would you?… would you?

No, because something as special as true Tequila deserves a little more respect.

A spirit that is so reliant on the creator’s knowledge of ageing processes (of both the agave plant and the resulting spirit), of growing techniques, and of distillation best-practice.

So put the lime away, save the salt for steaks and discover a new dawn for tequila – a spirit that’s strictly not for shots. In fact, why not give one the smoothest and most high-quality Tequilas around a go, Casa Dragones Tequila Blanco.

Casa Dragones constantly seeks to enhance the tequila experience and their Tequila Blanco is no exception. You won’t be needing to reach for a mixer to prevent the facial distortions often synonymous with tequila experiences.

Although such a high quality tequila could only boost the taste of a cocktail, it would be an insult to the rich history of Casa Dragones to not first enjoy a glass completely on its own – ice, optional.

(Trust us. A sip is not going tequilya…)

 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar